Great reasons to cycle to work:
- It reduces the cost of traveling to work.
- It helps make exercise a part of your daily routine.
- It’s quicker than you think: one mile can only take
5 minutes to cycle.
- It reduces congestion on our roads, so improving air
quality and reducing CO2 emissions.
Why don’t you?
- Make sure your bike is in good condition – come to one our of FREE maintenance sessions and see self-help videos like this one from Sustrans
- Plan your route online with the cycle journey planner like http://www.transportdirect.info
- Contact use for some personal travel planning advice, or ask friends and colleagues for good routes to use
- See one of our route maps (see below)
- Ask if your employer offers a tax-free cycle scheme (see below)
- Take advantage of some of our FREE cycle training and led rides and look out for schemes that offer free one to one cycle training like go:cycling
- See the Sustrans website for really useful information on every aspect of cycling
Bike to Work Schemes
Do you know Kirklees College and University of Huddersfield have ‘Bike to Work’ schemes that could save you up to £300 on the purchase of a new bike!!
- For Kirklees College see KC Share or contact Laura O’Connor, HR Advisor, LOconnor@kirkleescollege.ac.uk, Ext. 7239
- For University of Huddersfield see the Employee Benefits section
Be a Smarter Commuter – A guide to sustainable travel in West Yorkshire
Useful further information
- Sky Ride programme – mainly led bike rides on Sundays, and also Ride Social and Breeze women’s rides: goskyride.com
- Other cycle groups in Kirklees – Cote de Holme Moss sportive weekend, Huddersfield Criterium E.g. http://www.penninex.co.uk/ – http://cvmbc.co.uk/ – http://www.holmfirthcc.com/ – http://www.huddersfieldcriterium.co.uk/
- The go:cycling project go:cycling aims to help more people cycle more safely, more often within West Yorkshire. They offer advice and support ranging from general information and maps to one-to-one cycle training and maintenance classes.
- Join the “Cycle Kirklees Consultation Group” and become actively involved in the development of the cycle infrastructure in Kirklees! Contact Lynnette Evens for more information: Lynnette.Evans@kirklees.gov.uk
Want to know how to get around Huddersfield in a way that involves minimum levels of traffic and fuss while taking in some of the nicest scenery? Then check out our route cards.
They can be downloaded from here:
A5-Route 1 Uni to Berry Brow – A5-Route 2 Uni to Bradley – A5-Route 3 Uni to Fenay Bridge – A5-Route 4 Uni to Linthwaite – A5-Route 5 Uni to Prince Royd – A5-Route 6 Uni to Sal Nook – A5-Route 7 Uni to Ash Student Houses and Sq Ditch – Uni to Storthes Hall Map – Route 8
Are you in the know? …Lock and Light Giveaways…
Be safe, be seen and be secure!! We’ve given away and fitted loads of locks, lights and helmets but they wont last forever…what are you waiting for?? Want a set? Get in touch!